Bio

Gig going foodie who reads too much, watches too much film, likes gardening, cooking/baking, and sewing. Likes to go to the theatre and anything arty. Likes travel, likes planning travel....likes solar eclipses.

Friday 2 August 2013

WORSLEY FARMERS' MARKET - WORSLEY GARDEN CENTRE













 I am a sucker for a foodie market.  Put up a trestle table with a striped awning and cover it in foodie delights and I'm there; Worsley Farmers' Market was no exception.  Held once a month at Worsley Garden Centre on Leigh Road this was the first time I'd been and although it was small it was a good mixture of stalls.  There was even a fish stall - not sure I've seen one of those at a farmers' market before.  A general walk around revealed the usual stalls catering for chutney, chocolate, sausages and pies but amongst the expected there were some really unusual stalls including one selling home made Spanish sauces with a kick and aloe vera skin products.

First point of sale for us was home made pate courtesy of Orchard Park Farm.  At three generous tubs for £10 the choices made were mushroom and walnut, chicken and Cointreau and pork with herbs and port.  All freshly made the day before these were really nice without being heavy and ear-marked for lunch later.  Passing quickly past the sticky toffee pudding stall (not that quick as we managed a taste) and we were at the stall of The Mighty Macaroon (http://www.themightymacaron.com/about.html).  Tempting sweet pillows of macaroon sandwiched with a variety of fillings.  I have to say that of the selection we bought (£1 each) the stand outs for me were the vanilla and lavender ones; the lavender even had edible lavender on them.  Yummy and available for mail order.

Pausing at vegan soap stall, Wallworks Soaps (http://www.wallworksoaps.co.uk/), was a delight.  The smells were lovely and the prices very reasonable.  Alas as Mr Jemimah will attest I have more soap already than I know what to do with so I was dragged away from the stall and onto an equally Achilles heel of mine; chutney.  Hailing from Timperley "Just Like it Used to Be" (http://www.justlikeitusedtobe.com/) provide old fashioned chutney evoking memories of childhood.  Finally settling on Apple & Pear Chilli and Beetroot with a subtle hint of cumin (two for £4) and I was placated.  Next stall was a home made cake stall.  Oh yes real home made cakes - Chai Latte nearly had me but in the end two very generous slices of Apple Crumble sponge were purchased at £2.20 each.  A  Victoria sponge with a filling of apples, caramel and crumble with the butter cream the portions were more than value for money although they were not for the faint hearted. (www.facebook.com/love2lovecakes)


Fitzpatrick's were also there and doing a roaring trade.  These cordials although pricey (3 for £9.95) really are wonderful.  From a vast array of flavours I re-stocked Blood Tonic, the perennial favourite Black Beer and Raisin and my first try of popular Bramley Apple and Elderflower.  This is apparently very good in mocktails, surely another reason to buy.(http://www.mrfitzpatricks.com/)

Special mention must also go to Lickables (lickables2u@yahoo.co.uk), a sweet stall with a difference; you can hire it.  For a relatively modest fee for what you get the stall will appear at your event with sweets displayed in either plastic or glass bowls (glass for adults) with a sweet buffet for guests.  Party and wedding favours are also available and even gift baskets of sweets.  Better than flowers for a lot of people.....

And that's it. Would I go again?  Well it's certainly got some good stalls even Greenhalgh's the bakers were there selling all manner of breads and pies and now that I know I can get my fix of Fitzpatrick's there yes.  I'd probably wait for a few months though and see what the autumnal and winter months bring (if it's running).  I'm hoping for roasting chestnuts and mulled wine......



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate all feedback from customers as it helps me to develop my products. thanks for taking the time to look at the Vegan Soaps :-)

    ReplyDelete