Bio

Gig going foodie who reads too much, watches too much film, likes gardening, cooking/baking, and sewing. Likes to go to the theatre and anything arty. Likes travel, likes planning travel....likes solar eclipses.

Wednesday 21 December 2011

So this is Christmas, and what have you done?

Valid point John, let's discuss that.....

What have I done this year?  Well a few things I didn't expect to do, some I didn't have to expect to do and one thing that took me completely by surprise...Yes, it's my fault the Euro is collapsing.  There, I said it.  I am George Osborne....

Obviously that last statement is a complete lie as I have a brain for a start.  Last year we were facing an uncertain Christmas with currency meltdown, economic crises and the threat of a "double dip" recession, increasing unemployment and inflation and where are we now?  Yes, that's right.  Much improved to "as you were".... I'm sure Georgie Porgy's and Honest Dave's banker mates are in much the same boat.  We are all in this together right? Try telling that to the people recently laid off or those marching to protect the terms of their pension that they signed up to and which are now being changed for them.  To use a quote from The Fast Show (or our Government as they're called) "Nice!".

I had hoped that everyone of merit having a hard time would have given rise to a bit more "let's help each other"- ness but as we saw in Croydon, Tottenham and elsewhere that actually translated into "help each other to a pair of new trainers".  Still, helping is helping and it is a start.....

The outcry of public anger after the riots and the way in which the Courts finally gave people the sentences that the moral majority wanted to see "might" (and I use the word advisedly) give rise to a sense of social responsibility being drilled into people.  There's certainly a few people I'd like to drill it into using a trusty Black & Decker.  Maybe society has turned and we're going to really go back to basics and not as a soundbite this time but perhaps to an idea of self worth, value and less "me" - after all this year the sales of mobile phones and other high cost items for Christmas presents are down whilst board games and making you own gifts are up and I can't help but think that's got a bit more to do with people's thought processes than purely their bank balances.  I hope...

What do I hope for 2012?  Well I wouldn't mind winning the lottery but failing that economic bolt of lightning I'd like to see people become a little but more aware of their place within the greater community and perhaps dare I say it, a little bit more community spirit from looking out for each other to getting involved in local charity work to simply just making your front garden look nicer. Nobody wants to see a pile of old boxes and a fridge..... you know who you are.....

My overall aim for 2012 is quite simple.  I'd just like to make it through to the other end without the Mayans being proved right....anything else is a bonus.  Oh and perhaps eat more fruit....

Merry Christmas.... take it away John.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_kj60DIq2M

No comments:

Post a Comment